Official GunZ The Duel 2018 (North America)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Gunz Trailer
Latest topics
» Can't register an in game account
GunZ - The General Gunz Guide For Beginners EmptyTue Mar 24, 2020 4:06 pm by neqneq

» Official Forum Closure, We've MOVED TO A NEW FORUM PLEASE READ!
GunZ - The General Gunz Guide For Beginners EmptySat Feb 08, 2020 1:42 pm by Monk

» i cannot download gunz.
GunZ - The General Gunz Guide For Beginners EmptyFri Jan 17, 2020 4:02 pm by Monk

» GunZ - Online, Gold coin ( Cash Coin ) Sale for holiday!
GunZ - The General Gunz Guide For Beginners EmptyFri Jan 10, 2020 10:54 pm by TsunamiGunz

» Can't register
GunZ - The General Gunz Guide For Beginners EmptyWed Dec 18, 2019 6:06 pm by Monk

» dstyler dagz
GunZ - The General Gunz Guide For Beginners EmptyThu Nov 28, 2019 8:55 pm by Perfect

» Happy Thanksgiving Nov,2020 M2O Gaming GunZ!
GunZ - The General Gunz Guide For Beginners EmptyThu Nov 28, 2019 8:18 pm by Monk

» GunZ: The Duel, Official Subreddit JOIN NOW!
GunZ - The General Gunz Guide For Beginners EmptyWed Nov 27, 2019 11:54 pm by Monk

» GunZ an Esport
GunZ - The General Gunz Guide For Beginners EmptyMon Nov 25, 2019 7:33 pm by lamp18

March 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

GunZ - The General Gunz Guide For Beginners

Go down

GunZ - The General Gunz Guide For Beginners Empty GunZ - The General Gunz Guide For Beginners

Post by Monk Sat Oct 26, 2019 1:29 am

The General Gunz Guide For Beginners

Ver. 1.5 - Update includes revision of sections, addition of information, and general rewording of large portions. Removed as little as possible, but space became an issue on the first two posts.

Welcome to my General Gunz Guide For Beginners! This guide is by no means all you need to know to play the game, but rather an information sheet featuring some of the “advanced basics” in Gunz. I felt that it was most appropriate to place this guide in the Style forum group because what I discuss is more about the playing viability of the topic as opposed to the topic itself (I.E. the Items section discusses the USE of items more than the items themselves).

The information in this guide is largely opinion, and need not be taken as fact. I have met many players who have questions on the underlying workings of game concepts and have made this guide for those players who know how to play the game, but still aren’t satisfied with their skills. I am pleased with the abundance of positive feedback that I have received on the guide.

I have incorporated a quick search for those who wish to find something specific in a hurry; press Ctrl + F and type in the number of the contents you wish to move to, e.g. Ctrl + F 019 will bring you first to the table of contents listing of items, and then move the items section. Please note some sections are close together; I included them all for simplicity’s sake. Send me a PM if you think that something needs changed.

Table Of Contents

0X0 Basics
010 Map
011 Movement
012 Fighting
013 Quest
014 Attack And Defense
015 Time Factor
016 Insults
017 Anger
018 Skill
019 Items
020 Premium Items
021 Weapons
022 Melee Weapons
023 Ranged Weapons
024 Automatics
025 Non-automatics
026 Armor
027 What To Wear
028 Style
029 Weight
030 Bottom Line
031 Accessories
032 Healing Items
033 Rings
034 Grenades
035 Styles
036 Spraying
037 Turtling
038 Estyle
039 Kstyle
040 Dstyle
041 Hstyle
042 Glitch Vs. Hack
043 Terms
044 Final Words

0X0 Basics~
The information in this section is not truly the basics; which buttons do what and basic movements are listed on ijji.com under the “how to play” section. My aim here is more along the lines of explaining basic tactics and thought processes behind getting around and fighting in Gunz. These are not all of the things you need to know, and some of them you may never need, but they have been used effectively and thusly have earned a place in this guide. The basics are sectionalized for ease of reading.

010 Map Basics~

Gunz is played in one of several reasonably complex maps. Some of the more common maps are Mansion, Island, and Town. All maps in Gunz are different, but the basic principles are the same in all of them. Knowing your surroundings is a must. Play a practice game on each map to get a feel for it. Note hard to find areas and possible hiding spots. It is very important to consider the power-ups located on each map (although different modes have a varying selection and quantity of power-ups).

The power-ups come in three varieties; red crosses, which give HP, green shields, which give AP, and yellow bullets, which give ammo. The actual amount of HP and AP healed by the crosses and shields varies; it appears that there are one or more preset values that are restored, from 50 in most deathmatch games to 10 in quest mode. It is important to note that the bullet power-up only gives ammo to one weapon, not both. If you have your second weapon (meaning the one in your second slot, not necessarily the one you use less than the other) out, it gives ammo to that weapon. Having any other weapon/accessory out will result in getting ammo for your primary weapon. Be sure and give ammo to the weapon you want it for; if you want secondary weapon ammo then you must have that weapon out.

It is necessary not just to know where power-ups spawn, but when they are and are not present. The power-ups, once picked up, respawn in 60 seconds (kudos to Claen'tor for timing it, I never thought to time it, and probably would be too lazy anyway!). If someone picks one up, keep that in the back of your mind, so when it should be near respawn time you may want to head back to it. My personal policy on power-ups is to pick them up whenever I am near them. The primary reason for this is to prevent an enemy from getting it; the downside, of course, is that you may end up actually needing the power-up in the next minute or so.

011 Movement Basics~

You may say to yourself, “what is there to movement, hit a key and you move!”, but Gunz has incredible potential for complex maneuvers (many of which are based off of glitches within the game code). The first and foremost principle is to NEVER stand still, with almost no exceptions. Many beginners make the mistake of standing still in order to aim better, but it is not worth it. Don’t be an easy target; think like the enemy, and imagine how you would look if someone came up to you at any given point.

Moving around effectively is a must for staying alive. Part of what makes various styles so effective is that they all feature advanced evasion techniques. Spend time learning the specifics on tumbling while aiming. The best way to get better is to always practice evading, even when you don’t really need to. Develop good movement habits and you will be amazed at what you can do, and how fast you can do it.

Learn the timing of dashing. Most advanced evasion tactics are based around dashing being faster over shorter distances than tumbling. Practice different movements that include dashing; Kstyle in particular focuses on performing numerous complex dashes, and anyone can benefit from the basic principles used in Kstyle. Wall cancel is the most basic of moves that use glitching, and I recommend that all players learn how to do it, if for only getting around. For more information on Kstyle, see the Kstyle section.

012 Fighting Basics~

Combat; the basic premise of Gunz. Make the enemy’s HP reach zero before he does so to you. It comes as no surprise that combat is nowhere near that simple; to say so would be to say that cooking a cake is done by heating it, you leave out so much information! I’d wager that if you’ve played a game of Gunz you know this already; it isn’t Duck Hunt. Remember that you can always get better, and I encourage everyone, new and pro alike, to push hard to be the best.

Aiming is of the utmost importance; while some tactics (namely spraying) involve not aiming, if you don’t hit your enemy then nothing else really matters. Keep in mind the game mechanic for hit locations; there are only two “hit boxes” on a character, the upper body (which is the head and some of the upper chest) and the lower body. Damage to the upper hit box is 3/4 deduction from HP and 1/4 from AP; the lower hit box is 50/50 (if the enemy has no more AP, then the entire damage is subtracted from HP). Also be aware of just how accurate your particular weapon is; some are disgustingly inaccurate, and others are amazingly accurate at long range.

Know when to fight and when to not; as well as when to use certain tactics and when to not. Knowing when to fight may sound like a no-brainer, but sometimes carelessness or anger (discussed later) will lead to a preventable death. If you are low on HP/AP, do not pursue enemies unless you are certain they can be defeated; fall back and find power-ups. Sometimes users of a given style are so used to it that they don’t realize when there is a better, usually simpler, way of handling a situation; try not to get too used to doing one thing. Just because you are up against a tactic that you have successfully defeated before using the same tactic, experiment with variations. I encourage all players to try new things and test the limits.

Be polite. It may sound idealistic, but it has practical use. Think about it; if you are better than everyone in the room, and you insult them all, they will see you and likely pursue you, even if they are already fighting someone (who may also go after you!). By being polite, you minimize the average desire of a player to see you dead. One common phrase associated with impolite behavior is “TK”; it means a type kill, or killing someone while they are typing. Personally, I believe that if you decide to type in combat then you are implying that you accept the risk associated with that; I do, however, generally avoid attacking someone who is typing, and encourage others to do the same.

Also, there are a set of unwritten rules referred to as "bow rules", that are often considered mandatory for certain game types (mostly duels and gladiator games). Bow rules are essentially as follows; 1. bow to your opponent from a reasonable distance (not too close); 2. you wait for your opponent to reciprocate the bow before engaging; 3. (those are really the only two, but this is more of a clarification than anything) do NOT engage your opponent until the first two rules have been observed, and if fighting stops for any reason, it is resumed with the bow rules being reapplied at the continuation of the fight, and just generally be polite to your opponent. Again bow rules are unwritten, so they are not enforced per se, but it is not uncommon for a player to be kicked as a result of failure to comply. I encourage all players to practice being polite whenever possible.

013 Quest Mode~

I only included this section so as to generalize the difference between quest mode and the other game modes; Quest is the only one in which you are fighting NPCs. Essentially, you are either killing computer characters (quest mode) or you are fighting with/against other players (everything else). Fighting other players is infinitely more challenging and interesting; computer AI (especially in gunz, I mean the goblins are just sad) is very limited, whereas no two humans play the same. Expecting a challenge from opponents who rarely have more than one attack is setting yourself up for disappointment.

It is worth note that, while it is not very challenging, quest mode provides a very general training mode; you have lots of predictable opponents on a relatively small map. This scenario is ideal for practicing moves you want to get better at, reusing old moves to develop good habits, testing weapons out, and trying out completely new techniques. Keep in mind that despite this ideal situation, some things are not a good idea to test; most Kstyle users will admit that trying to BF your way through quest mode isn’t the best approach.

However, quest mode has other uses beyond practicing moves on easy targets; it is a good warm-up/cool-down. Before playing against other players, perhaps playing one or two levels of quest mode will allow your fingers to get primed for intense use, as well as get you into the mindset of playing. Likewise, after some intense playing, it may be helpful to relax with a couple levels of quest mode; jumping straight from an intense fighting game into say, homework, can be uncomfortable, and a cool-down of some kind makes transitioning out of gameplay that much smoother.

014 Attack And Defense~

Despite having omitted all but one of the game modes, I feel obligated to include attack and defense, primarily since it is an unofficial mode; the rules are player-set (and subsequently open to interpretation, and at times hard to enforce). To my knowledge no other unoffical play modes exist, please let me know if I am mistaken. Again these rules are completely player maintained, so failure to comply commonly results in the offender being kicked. If you do not approve of the rules, join another game.

The basic setup for attack and defense is a team deathmatch in the Mansion (ocassionally other maps are used, but Mansion facilitates the rules the best). The two teams spawn in the dining hall and library, respectively. The defending team may not leave the platform that lies at the end of the small hallway outside the dining room/library (there are exceptions, they are coming). The attacking team is allowed to go anywhere, and are tasked with killing all of the defending team. The two teams typically swap roles each round, to make it fair. Otherwise it is essentially a team deathmatch, with only restrictions on where you can go.

There are a few nuances, however. For starters, you can (if you are defending) wall post past the platform; in other words, you may leave the platform, but not touch the ground. There is some discrepancy on whether or not you can go as far as the opposite ledge (which usually lets you get some quick shots in on the unsuspecting) or further, but I tend to say no further than the beginning of the counterpart ledge. Also, if the attacking team does not go onto the defenders' ledge within a reasonable amount of time, the defending team can start a count, from 10 to 1, that upon reaching 1allows the defending team to leave their side, and go anywhere they please.

Again, the rules are player-implemented; if you don't like them, don't play in those games.

015 The Time Factor~

Time. Everything takes time (obviously not just in Gunz, but in everything else); getting from one area to another, computers communicating (i.e. lag), bullets to reach their targets, everything. Time is something to be constantly aware of; “knowledge is power”, know time! I consider time important in two aspects; prediction and timing.

I use the term prediction as a blanket term for making inductions about what is and is not possible given the amount of time that has (or has not) passed. A good example is that if you just saw a player run into a hallway, you know that he cannot be on the other side of the map; he has not had the time to get there. This is a rather common-sense example, but the principle is universally applicable; power-ups, player respawn, and attacks (largely referring to rockets here, which are discussed in the ranged weapons section) all take time to get from one state to the other. I encourage all players to take some time out of a game to consider how they use their perception of time to their advantage, and expand upon it.

Timing is also a blanket term that, much like prediction, encompasses many things that all revolve around one concept. Specifically, I consider timing to be a factor in any input you give the computer. Know the timing of all of your moves; how long weapons take to switch, how long the delays for your attacks are, the duration and distance of the evasive maneuvers you use, and how close together you must hit keys in order to get the desired effect. The actual millisecond value is irrelevant, so long as you know how long it takes. This focus on micro-factors will allow you to better develop all of the skills which depend upon good timing; accuracy, defense, and maneuvering, to name a few.

A discussion about time would not be complete without the evil twin of good timing; lag. Lag has been around since networking was invented, and is a perpetual problem to almost everyone; even those who do not themselves experience it. To ensure a moderate understanding of lag, you must keep in mind that it is a delay in the communication from one computer to another; the cause can be hardware, software, or both, but it is virtually the same effect regardless of the cause.

Aside from the obvious drop in game performance for those experiencing it, lag also causes discrepancies between what one game client thinks and what another thinks (the server of course determines who is really right). This is evidenced (although difficult to support, as the nature of it being a communication error) by one client returning to the user an indication that the target was hit when, on the target’s game client, no hit occurred. This is quite profound; even when you are told you have hit someone, you may in fact have not. This stems from disagreement on where the character is, which has profound effects on many game aspects, not just bullet hits.

Remember that, despite being a prevalent problem, lag is largely unavoidable, and although it is tempting to blame someone for it, no one wants the lag to be there (a possible exception being people who intentionally use lag as a means of avoiding damage, which is against the rules). If other players lag, you may start a vote to kick them, but only do so if it is a major issue; if someone does not lag but has a large ping, kicking them is uncalled for. Try to not blame anyone for the lag; it is both unfounded and pointless.

016 Insults And Taunting~

If you have played Gunz for more than 5 minutes, you have undoubtedly heard insults. They range from noob to hacker to words that I won’t use here. I doubt most have to ask this question, but why do people insult each other so much? It isn’t terribly complex, but it defies simple explanation. Essentially, insults are a way of venting negative thoughts/feelings to other players. If you are angry at someone (more detail on this scenario in the next section) you will likely want them to know it.

The problem with insults, of course, is that they are typically neither necessary nor accurate. If, for instance, player A kills player B, player B may type out that player A is an (insert insult here). Player A, even if he/she is not what the accuser says, will likely reciprocate the insult, or at the least provide a rebuttal. There are no (not enforced ones at least) rules against insulting others, and players suffer no consequences from doing so. I will come back to insults after explaining taunting.

Taunt is a word rarely used in language but has a distinct meaning; specifically, it is not quite the same as an insult. It is true that you can taunt and insult someone in the same statement, but they are easily used separately. While insulting is more of a reflexive expression of thoughts/feelings, taunting is an intentional act meant to anger (or merely challenge) another player. Taunting can be done without words, however. Simply standing over an enemy after his death and using emotes, such as laughing, can be more effective than anything that can be articulated.

Again, the primary intent in taunting is to anger your opponent (possibly in order to make him less effective), whereas insults are an emotional expression. It is important to be aware of this distinction, and to recognize when you are being insulted (and why) and when you are being taunted. Despite the discrete nature of the two, they often have the same effect; insults. My personal stance on this issue is to never insult, and taunt sparingly. By treating others with respect I am usually treated with the same; I encourage all players to strive for polite behavior while playing Gunz.

Last edited by Monk on Sat Oct 26, 2019 1:41 am; edited 1 time in total
Monk
Monk
M2O GunZ Owner

https://gunzduel.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

GunZ - The General Gunz Guide For Beginners Empty Re: GunZ - The General Gunz Guide For Beginners

Post by Monk Sat Oct 26, 2019 1:35 am

017 Anger Management~

Insults and taunting are probably the foremost cause of anger in players, with the only other real causes being frustration with failure and sore fingers. What happens when you get angry? If you’re like most people, you become more emotionally engaged in something; be it to prove a point or just to vent rage. It is important to understand the scope of this, and how it affects your gameplay. Don’t let your feelings impede your abilities! Try to notice when you get angry and why, and then work on preventing or lessening it.

Anger is a reflexive response, and this lends it to be used as a weapon. If you are angrier, you will likely focus less on the situation; your ability to concentrate will diminish. Many players know this, and use it to their advantage. Often times an insult will be directed at you (or everyone) not to state an opinion, but just to make you lose focus on fighting effectively. Managing your anger will help you remember important things while fighting, and prevent you from spreading the insults. If you find that you cannot manage your anger, it is a good idea to take a 5 minute break; not just to cool off, but to rest your hands and eyes as well.

018 What Is Skill?~

After all of these factors are considered, the question of skill still remains unanswered; what really constitutes skill? Skill is a term often generalized and seldom defined; you can say someone has no skill, or that you have immense skill, and need no support for either statement. To understand skill, one must understand what makes a player “good” (as skill means you’re good, right?). The first thing that jumps at you should be along the lines of “A player who can beat almost anyone else reliably is good.”; let’s expand on this.

What does it take to beat someone else? It is a combination of factors; moving faster, aiming better, having a better strategy, having the element of surprise, being more alert and active physically… the list is potentially endless. The enemy has all of these factors as well; in the hypothetical situation in which he dies, they may simply be working against him. What, then, relates all of these things? What aspect(s) can be applied to such factors in a way that allows you to generally describe how “good” a player is?

I find that it is clear that at least part of this relationship is in knowledge. “Knowledge is power.” is a common proverb, and it is as true in Gunz as anywhere else. Do not, however, make the mistake of treating knowledge as a specific thing; knowledge has many aspects in itself. Knowing the map you are on, where players are, what weapons they have, how they fight, and when to run are all important. It is perhaps more important to know your abilities; know what you need to do in a certain situation, such as which way to dodge if you are attacked, or what weapon should be used. Knowing what you need to do, in terms of keystrokes and mouse clicks, to make desired outcomes in the game is one of the most important factors in being an effective fighter.

But many readers will immediately think, “knowing what to do and doing it are not the same thing.”, and this is of course true; I can know that I need to Butterfly in order to beat an opponent, but if I am using a dagger then it simply won’t happen. So we can then add on to knowledge by including ability; being able to make your character do what you want to do is important. This, more so than knowledge, requires practice. Timing is also integral, as is discussed in later sections.

So the conclusion seems direct enough; to be “good”, one must have both knowledge and ability. If you know what you need to do, and are able to do it, then what else could possibly make it better? There is, of course, always the element of luck. Luck is (as is my explanation of skill) debatable, and players have conflicting views on what part, if any, luck plays in gameplay. I personally believe that, especially given many random factors like bullet vectors, luck is a component, but not one you can tap at will or expand upon with practice. Given this, my stance on luck is that don't underestimate it, but don't rely on it either.
019 Items~
This section does not discuss all items fully, and rarely mentions any specific items. The intent is to give the most pertinent information regarding the equipment aspect of Gunz. It is highly important to remember that it is ultimately skill, and not gear, that determines the efficacy of a player. Do not assume that because many others use a given item that it is simply the best; evaluate items for yourself before deciding what to use. Conversely, do not belittle items either; if you have an empty item slot, put something there!
020 Premium Items~
Premium items (almost universally called “prems”) are items that you cannot get through gameplay; you must purchase them with actual money. There is considerable variance in opinion on doing so; many players feel that using real money to better yourself in a game is a waste of money, with others providing the counterargument. There is no standard moral concern in buying virtual items with real money; it is up to an individual whether or not they think it is right to do so. Be respectful of other people’s decisions regarding premium items.

Aside from the issues associated with them, premium items are still items, and as such are subject to varying degrees of quality. If you glance through the list of items and compare them to bounty items, it is apparent that most bounty weapons are comparable or even superior to premium ones, with the possible exception of level requirement and/or weight. Armor is basically the reverse; the better sets of premium armor provide more AP and HP, often at a lower weight, than those bought with bounty.

Many premium items are paid for and can be used forever; the rest are “rented”. Be mindful when purchasing a rented item that you can both use it immediately and that you plan to play a lot during the period you rent it for. One last consideration in purchasing premium items is style (this is mentioned in further detail in the armor section); how an item looks affects whether or not a player may want to wear it.

*Premium items are currently the only way to obtain a hat class of armor; the bounty store does not sell hats.
021 Weapons~
The intention of this section is to simply explain some of the most commonly used tactics associated with specific weapons. If you really want to know which weapon is right for you, experiment! Try out the cheapest version of a weapon you’re interested in using. Also keep in mind that, even though some weapons will not fit with specific play styles, just because you consistently lose fights to a specific weapon does NOT mean that it is better than any other; merely that the person using it knows how to use it effectively.

It is worth note that different weapons have different weight values, which affects your ability to wear other items. Weight is a consideration with all weapons; for exact values check for yourself, I only mention the abnormal weight relationships here. Try to keep a balance between weapon weight and armor weight. Weight is discussed more fully in the weight subsection of the armor section.
022 Melee~
This is intended to be a brief overview of melee weapons and their most common uses. It is almost always prudent to have at least some melee weapon equipped, as some moves (like dashing and basic wall climbing and canceling) are impossible without one. As will be mentioned in the ranged weapons section, just because one weapon repeatedly defeats you does not mean that it is better than the others; only that the opponent knows how to use it well.

Blocking~

Blocking is a feature that is present in swords and kodachi, but not in daggers. Blocking, when used effectively, can prove to be a very effective defensive tactic. Blocking prevents upper body ranged attacks from hitting you, and also blocks melee attacks (both ranged and melee blocking only works from the front; you can still be hit from the sides or behind). Blocking prevents a player from dashing or attacking at the same time (Kstyle uses various key combinations to bypass this limitation, which is discussed more in the Kstyle section). If you block a melee attack, the opponent briefly performs a blocked attack animation, which stuns them briefly (note that not every block will give a massive)Blocking is the central part of turtling, which is explained in the styles section.

The ability to get an instant massive if you block an enemy’s melee attack also allows for an offensive counterattack, which can be lethal if you follow up with a quick shot after the massive. An enemy who carelessly swings a sword at you is putting himself at risk of you blocking and subsequently getting a massive. Massives can also be charged up, but doing so is only advisable when camping or rushing an enemy. Massives have interesting mechanics in the fact that, under many conditions, you can avoid both the blocked attack animation and even the massive itself. Primarly facing at a certain angle relative to the opponent is what causes this effect.

Daggers~

Daggers are lightweight, fast, and low damage weapons (and are also the trademark item in Dstyle, which is explained in styles). As mentioned above, they lack the ability to block. With the way many styles fight, not being able to block can be a very significant disadvantage, and as a result daggers are not as popular as swords. Daggers can, however, be used while moving, and do not chain into combos that lock you into place, which swords and kodachi do.

The special attack of daggers is a lunge which sends your character forward, knocking enemies over if they are hit (it cannot be blocked, but if the enemy “jumps” within a small timeframe then they are not knocked over). This move is typically followed by shooting the enemy that is on the ground; this tactic is generally looked down upon by most players. Whether or not you think it is ok, do not repeatedly try to lunge at an enemy; it makes you easy to predict and it does leave you open to being shot.

Swords~

Swords are the most commonly used weapon, and with good reason; they are high damage, lighter than kodachi, and can block (where daggers can’t). Swords (and kodachi to a lesser extent) are the trademark item used in Kstyle, which is explained in the styles section. The sword attack, when used repeatedly, locks your character into place while he swings; this is almost always a bad idea, as you are an easy target if the enemy can get some distance from you. Blocking between swords and kodachi is identical, despite there being two swords instead of one with kodachi.

The special attack with swords is a flipping attack that, if it hits the enemy, sends them into the air, and then fall to the ground and lay defenseless for a few seconds (this, much like the dagger special attack, cannot be blocked but can be countered by jumping quickly after entering the air). The flip attack is melee range; you do not move forward as the dagger does. Otherwise, it is roughly the same (except for the dagger lunge actually causing damage on the hit; the flip does not cause damage). Note that, despite having lower delays that daggers (past the first three swords), swords are considered slower, primarily due to the ability to make stab after stab unaffected by stance or location.

Kodachi(Double Swords)~

Kodachi are somewhat of a hybrid between a sword and a dagger, and are used less than either of the former two. They are heavier than swords, faster than swords or daggers, but cannot be used while moving. Otherwise, the same basic uses of swords apply to kodachi. Blocking, attacking, and dashing are all the same (although potentially faster with the lower delay).

The special attack for kodachi is also a hybrid of swords and daggers; a flip in which you may dash forward to perform the attack and move into the enemy at the same time, and, like swords, your enemy is flipped into the air (and can still jump to counter it). Keep in mind that kodachi do not block better than swords, despite having two blades.
023 Ranged~
This section is devoted to ranged weapons; guns. The game (ostensibly) gets its name from the fact that you use guns in it, but it is important to realize the true nature of using guns in the game. Different guns have different damage, accuracy, rates of fire, and mechanics. Guns of the same type will follow the same basic characteristics, but it is worth note that most gun classes have two sub-types within them, usually defined by a variance in the ratio of one aspect (such as delay, clip size, or accuracy) versus damage. The trends are rather easy to identify, check the bounty shop for yourself for specifics.

Sub-machine guns, pistols, and revolvers can all be single or dual guns; you can have two of a gun or just one. With two, the weight is exactly double, the delay is the same, but the price is higher (as well as the level). It is important to make the distinction in how having two is better than one; you do not get twice as many rounds, but rather you fire two rounds at once. The weapon interestingly enough displays this as double damage, when in fact you can hit with a bullet from one gun and not the other (only really common with sub-machineguns). Some guns have higher delays than others; due to a divergence in play style associated with rate of fire, I have separated automatics from non-automatics.

024 Automatics~

I consider these guns fundamentally different than the others; automatics are characterized by the sacrifice of damage or accuracy in favor of a high rate of fire. They are most commonly associated with spraying and Estyle. It is important to know that the longer you fire an automatic weapon (and most non-automatics) the less accurate it becomes. Firing in short bursts preserves accuracy, and is highly advisable for most situations. It is easier to waste bullets with these guns than non-automatics, so practice ammo conservation when using them.

Rifles~

Rifles are one of the most accurate weapons available; even at long distances the bullets will not land far outside the reticule. That being said, they are still more accurate when fired in bursts. Rifles are fairly common; the ability to pump ~30 medium damage rounds into an enemy at long range very quickly is quite desirable. Rifles have three subclasses, with the main variance being in damage to rate of fire (accuracy varies slightly). As with other automatics, it is inadvisable to use rifles in conjunction with Kstyle or Dstyle, at least as your primary weapon.

Sub-machine Guns~

Sub-machine guns (universally referred to as SMGs) are the most popular weapon for beginners. Part of this is because the first tier of SMGs is relatively better than the rest of the first tier weapons, and the other part of this stems from them being very lethal when used on close, slow moving targets (i.e. other beginners). SMGs have terrible accuracy, unless you are literally right in front of your target. I believe that SMGs, more than any other weapon, have a maximum range that a target really can be at and still be hit; if you are being fired upon by a SMG from long range, you can almost casually walk away without getting hit. It is important to note that SMGs are very easy to waste ammo with; if you decide to use them, do not fire unless you really think you can hit the enemy, because having no ammo isn’t fun.

Machine Guns~

Machine guns are the most advanced automatic; they are unavailable until level 25. Machine guns all carry two 120 round clips, all weigh the same (which is actually a rather large amount; in addition they disallow wall climbing and related maneuvers), and do one more damage per level, starting at 16. Machine guns have accuracy comparable to SMGs, and fire almost as fast. Machine guns are, largely due to their weight, not a commonly used weapon. In my experience using them, they are best suited for Quest mode, where accuracy isn't as vital as high damage and rate of fire, combined with the fact that ammo power-ups fill an entire clip, which is 120 bullets, they are quite useful.

In general gameplay versus other players, the lack of accuracy tends to make them ineffective, and the weight and movement restrictions can be detrimental to gameplay. I recommend that any players who wish to use these weapons in deathmatches should be mindful of how effective or ineffective they really are, and look past the "hold the trigger and feel the vibrations, baby!" effect.
Monk
Monk
M2O GunZ Owner

Back to top Go down

GunZ - The General Gunz Guide For Beginners Empty Re: GunZ - The General Gunz Guide For Beginners

Post by Monk Sat Oct 26, 2019 1:37 am

025 Non-Automatics~

These weapons are distinct from automatics in that they have a large variance in damage, accuracy, and area of effect, with varying relationships to rate of fire. Keep in mind that neither automatics or non-automatics (or any two weapon types) are better than the other; they are merely different. Non-automatic guns are common within Kstyle and Dstyle, but are not frequently described as spraying weapons.

It is important to realize the difference between spraying and spamming. Spraying is essentially firing round after round while tracking the target with your reticule (or not even trying to aim). Spamming, on the other hand, is usually used to describe using two of the same type of weapon as a way to fire them faster or more accurately. There is a difference between firing while tracking a target and aiming before shooting, and understanding this difference allows for the understanding of comments often made by other players. Spamming does not imply lack of aim (nor does it imply use of aim...); spraying does.

Shotguns~

Shotguns are one of the most popular weapons; particularly in Kstyle (and more or less Dstyle). When fired, shotguns project 12 pellets in a random cone in front of you, with each pellet having the damage number listed for that shotgun. Shotguns have quite a large delay, and spamming with them is common (using two is a common means of bypassing the long delay). An interesting characteristic of shotguns is that the “cone” of pellets will spread wide up until a certain distance, and then go forward. This makes shotguns much more apt for ranged combat than is realistic (the spread is still rather large). That being said, shotguns are still best used for close range combat.

Rocket Launchers~

Rocket launchers are a controversial weapon; they are often considered “spray” weapons, in contrast to the other non-automatics (rockets also actually take considerable time to reach their target location). Spray is in quotation marks because it is not literal spraying, but rather the fact that you can “miss” the target and still damage them. Many players associate the lack of aim with lack of skill, as sometimes a rocket user is not even able to see a person, but gets lucky and still hits them. This is because rockets, on impact, provide an area of damage similar to that of a frag grenade (discussed in accessories)..

There is nothing definitely wrong with using rockets, except that you can actually kill yourself with them (sometimes very easily). Firing a rocket when you are right in front of your target (or another obstacle) will place you in the blast radius; you lose experience for suicide. Another downside to rocket launchers is the weight, as well as the fact that they prevent many maneuvers, such as wall climbing. Rockets are frequently used by many players; they are, after all, fun to use!

Pistols~

Pistols are not used by players terribly often; this is because they have no definite role. Pistols provide quite accurate medium damage rounds with a rather fast delay and small clip, but they do not excel in any given situation; other weapons are more specific in their uses. Pistols are not “inferior” to other weapons, but they do not have a specific use; of course some situations aren’t very common, and a pistol may end up being the right weapon for that particular instance.

Revolvers~

Revolvers (commonly referred to as “revs”) are, like shotguns, commonly used in Kstyle. The reason they are used so is because of the high damage (like shotguns) and accuracy (relatively good, not as good as pistols though); the delay is made irrelevant if the weapons are switched rapidly. In the highest levels, dual revolver damage for a single shot is on par with that of rocket launchers; four hits can kill you. It is important to remember that, despite the high damage per shot, the clip in any revolver is six bullets (excluding the Dynax series, which have Cool. This makes for many reloads if your aim is bad. In general, only use revolvers if you trust your accuracy; if so then they are quite useful in most situations.

Common Weapon-associated terms – Kstyle, Estyle, Dstyle, Shotty, Revs, Spam, Spray, Aim, PB, Massive, Rushing

026 Armor~
The armor in Gunz is very, very limited. The armor is separated by gender, but the stats are strikingly similar otherwise (not to mention there are so few choices!). There are only two bonuses associated with armor; AP and HP. At first glance it appears as the more of both the better; 1 HP = 1 AP. This is NOT the case. Due to the nature of damage to specific areas, HP is slightly more valuable than AP. The exact ratio is likely in the neighborhood of 1 HP = 1.5 AP, but for simplicity’s sake it is generally regarded as 1 HP = 2 AP. Either way, considering the HP gains/loses versus that of AP in a piece of armor is a wise decision. It is quite clear, however, that the non-premium items focus almost exclusively on AP, so this is not as difficult a decision as it would be otherwise (premium items have more variations in HP and AP bonuses, typically with lower weight).

027 What To Wear…~
Gunz features hats, body armor, leg armor, gloves, and boots. These armor types are largely aesthetic; having no body armor on does not mean that you take more damage if you are shot there. This is the basis for choosing not to wear a slot of armor in favor of having heavier weapons and accessories. When choosing which slot to buy for, go by which one gives the most improvement. Bounty armor in Gunz is rather cheap, to the point that having one of every armor piece is not cost prohibitive (but it will make your inventory screen a mess).

*Hats are only available through premium items, which are mentioned at the start of the items section.

028 Style – Do I Look Fat In This?~

There are as many differing views on style as there are players. Some argue that sacrificing anything to look good is ridiculous; others say that looking good is worth the small price typically associated with it. The first thing to know is that what looks good to one person may not to another; in light of this, if you want to be stylish, don’t ask someone else if it looks good, go by your own judgment. While popular opinion typically gravitates toward a standard of style, there is nothing wrong if someone tells you that you are an eyesore. If anything, it may make them focus more on your flashy suit than on your movements. The importance of style in armor choice is entirely subjective; there is little else I can say in that regard.

029 Weight~

Weight is one of the (few) balancing factors in Gunz; by limiting weight, you force players to make decisions on what to wear, and, with careful value selection on the part of the game designers (*cough*), prevent players from having too much of everything (so you can have your cake, but eating it is out of the question). Weight is the semi-irrelevant stat on all equipment; I say this because, especially when you start out, the weight of an item is truly irrelevant; more weight has no negative impact whatsoever on your gameplay. It is, however, more important as you reach higher levels. The 100 weight cap begins to be problematic when the items you want to wear will exceed the limit. The question then becomes whether an item is worth the extra weight over one of lesser quality; a question only the player can answer.

030 The Bottom Line~

Armor has four characteristics; HP, AP, weight, and appearance/style. These characteristics have subjective value that varies with each player, and ultimately the decision of what to wear is one only the user can make (but you knew that). Remember that the balance of armor weight and weapon weight is an easily tipped scale, and balancing your character is one of the easier ways to be consistent terms of equipment. Be careful when consulting others about gear; be sure that you understand and agree with what they say before accepting it as fact.
031 Accessories~
Items that aren’t weapons or armor are classified in this section. As with armor and weapons, accessories have weight values. While the weight of accessories is significantly lower than that of armor and weapons, they still affect the overall limitations of weight, and the rules of thumb for choosing items with balanced weight still hold. For more information on how weight affects you, see the weight subsection in the armor section. It is worth note that, while they are under this section, rings are for game purposes a form of armor, and are subject to the general principles associated with choosing armor; I will reiterate these in the rings section.

032 Healing Items~

There are two types of restorative items in Gunz; Medical Kits and Repair Kits. Medical Kits repair HP, and Repair Kits repair AP (they both restore 10 of the designated points with each kit, up to 4 for one slot). There are also premium kits that restore 20 points of each attribute, and also stack to up to 5, but they are for rent only). Kits weigh 5 + 1 for every extra kit. Kits are commonly used by players, typically in a pair of armor and health. They consume one accessory slot each, and thusly limit your ability to carry grenades. One interesting thing is that kits are persistent; to my knowledge they remain on the ground indefinately, until picked up. This makes them especially useful in team games, where you can place the kits before a fight, and tell your teammates where they are incase you die or they become injured. Not wise to use these in close combat.

033 Rings~

Rings are akin to armor in that they give AP, HP, or both, and have weight values. Generally, players opt for two health rings, as health (as mentioned in the armor section) has more value than AP. There are also rings that actually add to your maximum weight limit; that is, they have a negative weight value. A ring with +2 weight allows you to carry 102 total weight of items. These are helpful if you want to carry two heavy weapons, and are willing to sacrifice some HP for the extra firepower.

034 Grenades~

Grenades in Gunz are more or less the same as the standard; you throw them and, after a short delay, they have an area effect. They only come in three varieties in Gunz; Frag(exploding), Flash, and Smoke grenades. There are series for each one of these grenade types; the only difference between two packs of different levels is the number of grenades and the weight both go up by 1 for each level up from the normal. The damage (or other effect) is identical to the lower level ones.

Frag grenades are the most commonly used grenades, and are widely regarded as the only truly useful grenades. These grenades come in a starting pack of 2, up to 6 total per slot. The damage area is relatively small; roughly four characters in width in all directions. The damage is 100, but this value is deceptive; 100 damage is only incurred if the opponent stands directly on top of the grenade. The damage scales down with distance from the blast center, to where you are likely to get 25 damage on an average grenade hit. The most common use of frag grenades is to flush enemies out of camping an area. They also can be used to damage your opponent when he does not suspect that you have any grenades (or any remaining grenades).

Flash grenades are akin to flash bang grenades; they cause all players in a rather large area to go “blind” and deaf for a few seconds. The effect itself causes a white screen that slowly fades into normal, and a rather annoying beeping sound (which also fades). Basically, you cannot hear or see what is happening. Oddly enough, you can still move and perform all maneuvers while in this state, and dodging in random directions is typically the best option when hit with a flash grenade. At first it sounds like an incredible weapon, but there’s a catch; the flash hits ALL players who are facing the grenade and in range when it goes off, including the person who threw it. Basically, you are just as likely to stun yourself as your enemy when using them, unless you turn your back to your enemy; most players would rather not use flash grenades than turn their back on their enemy. Plus, you cannot tell if an enemy is blinded or not (they can still perform all moves)

Smoke grenades are like the “special” cousin of grenades. You throw one and after a few seconds it billows out some low-graphic smoke in a small area. That’s all it does. Even then, its effects are lackluster; the smoke can be seen through with relative ease, is in a small area, and has a short duration. It is worth note, however, that they have more grenades per pack than the other two, and if you throw three or more in one location, the smoke effects are cumulative, to where three does what (in many player's opinions) one should do.

Common Armor-related terms – Gear, Prem, Weight, Style, HP, AP, Pro, Noob
Monk
Monk
M2O GunZ Owner

Back to top Go down

Post by Monk Sat Oct 26, 2019 1:39 am

035 Styles~
There are several common “styles” of fighting in Gunz. These styles are characterized by use of certain weapons, certain moves, and most importantly a general format to follow for most combat situations. For the purposes of the guide, I have included several common terms that, while not necessarily associated with styles per se, come up in discussions about styles. Remember, a style is a way to play the game, a move is an action you make; you can use moves from a style and not be considered a user of it (i.e. being able to BF does not make you a Kstyle user).

It is important to realize that styles are not just keystrokes or moves; they are an entire approach to combat. Many people have asked/tried to make a new style, but to do so would require enormous creativity and analytical skill. The same goes for individual move creation; unless it is entirely new and better than (or comparable to) the alternative, it will not be used, and will be disregarded by the population. I personally believe that all effective styles have been defined and well developed. With that, however, I encourage everyone to experiment and search for new ways to play the game.

036 Spraying~

Spraying is one of the terms that is not associated with a style, but rather a general category of fighting techniques used by players, usually players new to the game, as a tactic. Generally, spraying refers to any use of a weapon that involves rapid succession of shots with little or no effort into aiming. More specifically, the weapons most commonly associated with spraying are sub-machine guns, machine guns, and rifles (all of the automatic weapons). Spraying is almost always used as a derogatory term; if someone calls you a sprayer, they are most likely not giving you a compliment.

Generally spraying is considered an ineffective and very easy fighting technique. Frankly, it is more true than false that spraying is both a poor strategy and an extremely simple fighting method. While it comes natural to fight this way (I would bet most players who first start the game spray), given the nature of the game (in particular the way in which most players dodge/evade) it will prove largely ineffective. Careless aim will not yield reliable results in most situations, and further effort into gameplay is highly recommended.

Perhaps surprisingly, spraying does kill people. It is very random, as the disregard for aim results in most hits being pure luck. With many players using techniques such as Kstyle and Dstyle, which are discussed below, using this approach on advanced players typically results in the sprayer being overwhelmed by close range combat, and consequently dying. Spraying is sometimes associated with Estyle, which is different in several aspects (although there is not a rigid boundary between the two), as will be discussed below.

037 Turtling~

Turtling is not a style in and of itself; it is a term used to describe an extremely defensive approach to combat that revolves around blocking. Blocking, as has been mentioned, prevents ranged attacks from hitting the upper portion of the body, and blocks melee attacks entirely (from the front, ranged and melee attacks are not blocked from the sides or behind). Also, a massive can be instantly charged by blocking an enemy melee attack; this gives turtling a sharp offensive edge.

Turtling is generally used in the same manner as spraying; as a derogatory remark. Many players accuse turtlers as being lazy or cowardly. Turtling is, at the least, a very simple method of defense; no fancy movements, no complex keystrokes. I personally see nothing wrong with turtling, but I caution those who wish to use it to be sure that it is the best choice in a situation; turtling from a distance or in a very open area (where the enemy can get behind you) is an unwise choice of action. Turtling is one of few reliable ways to counter the Butterfly (in close quarters), which is discussed in the Kstyle section.

038 Estyle~

If you tell someone that you use Estyle, they will generally know what you mean and how you play, but if you ask anyone to define Estyle, you will never have a definition that gives Estyle justice and simultaneously makes it discrete from spraying. It may be because of this that many players treat it simply as advanced spraying. The name is short for European Style; supposedly to contrast the style of American and European players versus that of Asian (and perhaps specifically Korean) players. Interestingly, the basis for Estyle is similar to that of spraying, which makes it very distinct from Kstyle and Dstyle. Generally, Estylers are said to be players who use several advanced dodging maneuvers in combination with careful aiming for an “all guns” approach to combat. While automatics are probably the most commonly used weapons, any gun fits the shoe in this style, and it is largely player preference that determines what is used.

As mentioned, many players disregard Estyle as an excuse for spraying, but it is characterized by moving in a very complex (or unpredictable) pattern in order to get the drop on the enemy. Sprayers typically move in simple motions, or even stand still, while firing. Any movement wins out over standing still, and the more advanced it is the better. Unfortunately, the gap between Estyle and spraying is not well defined, so to be considered an Estyler as opposed to a sprayer is next to impossible. Estyle, while not as fast paced or universally applicable as Dstyle or Kstyle, is no doubt more evasive than spraying. With many players using advanced tactics, being evasive means staying alive longer.

Focusing on aiming (while moving in random directions) is the most important aspect to master in Estyle. Estyle is not without its drawbacks of course; both Dstyle and Kstyle feature movements that allow for wall climbing, rapid air motion, and scary precision; Estyle does not. Estyle is very limited in close ranged, limited mobility areas, such as hallways or areas where one may fall into oblivion. I recommend that any player who consider themselves a sprayer (or are unsure about themselves in that regard) try to develop their style to more of an Estyle approach. Not only will this save you some insults, but it will make you a more effective player. Some players choose to mix Estyle techniques with Kstyle and Dstyle moves, which is discussed in the Hstyle section.

039 Kstyle~

Kstyle is the most well-known, popular, and (widely regarded as at least) effective style. The name stems from one of the players who brought the principle of the style to American/Eurpoean players (his in game name was Korean; he was likely one of several to bring the moves over). Kstyle has many different “moves” and has a use in (as far as is known) any situation. I will not describe any moves in detail (with the exception of the Butterfly, since it is widely used and can be a very confusing sight/concept for beginners, and thus serves as a good example of how complex styles really are) in this guide.

First I will go over the basic requirements for Kstyle; namely a sword and very good timing (and it is almost pointless to Kstyle with a low delay low damage weapon, but it can be done). The sword attack, combined with blocking, jumping, and dashing, is the cornerstone of Kstyle; without a sword (you can Kstyle with kodachi, although they are far less popular) you cannot perform most moves used in Kstyle. Daggers cannot be used to Kstyle; they cannot block. Daggers do, however, still have both a variety of universal moves (to help compensate for some they cannot perform) and some moves that cannot be done using a sword (or kodachi).

Kstyle uses a glitch in the game that allows a player to (this is best used in the air, as being off the ground affects several animation cancellations) begin a sword attack, but immediately block (which bypasses the swinging sword animation, but still makes the slash). This concept (which is more generally the concept of canceling an animation in order to do things faster than normal; and sometimes things that simply cannot be done without animation canceling) allows for rapid movement, defense and offense at the same time, and incredibly maneuverability (climbing on walls in ways that can make your head hurt). The best way to convey how complex (and effective) this style can be is to explain its (arguably) most common move; the Butterfly.

The Butterfly~

The Butterfly is a very complex move that gets its name from the sword slash appearing to give the player a white, butterfly-shaped wing when used properly (this is really only visible when using a female character and a sword, male characters or kodachi users will not get the same visual effect, but it is still the same move). Using the Butterfly does not make you a Kstyler; there are multiple moves (most along the same lines in terms of complexity) used in Kstyle (HS is another common Kstyle move, but it is part of another series of Kstyle moves that focus on switching to a gun as a means of canceling the slash animation, so I will omit it).

The Butterfly is a fast paced keystroke dance that involves jumping, dashing, slashing, and blocking very quickly and accurately over and over again. The overall effect is that the player, excluding very brief periods between two animations, is attacking with a sword, blocking with the sword, moving up and down, and moving left and right all at the same time, very fast. Unless you have a plan against such an opponent, you will quickly find yourself overwhelmed.

The Butterfly is not invincible, of course. Butterfly users can face off with one another for some very fast and interesting combat; but not everyone knows how or is able to perform the Butterfly. Turtling is one of the most common and simple (and strangely enough one of the more reliable) methods of combating the Butterfly, but turtling is also not unbeatable by Butterfly users; there are many tactics the Butterfly allows you to use, and it is strangely (and sometimes outright amazingly) effective in most situations. The best advice I can give players having difficulty with fighting Butterfly users is to learn how it works, and then try out things that would logically bypass the Butterfly’s effect.

If, on the other hand (or perhaps both hands) you want to learn to use the Butterfly for yourself (after all, join them if you can't beat them, right?), this is the wrong thread to read. There are two (and undoubtedly more in other places) Kstyle guides at the top of the style forum; both of them explain the Butterfly (and even how to learn it step by step) in great depth; you may also view the other common moves of Kstyle, some of which are nowhere near as complex as the Butterfly (the Wall Cancel is a move I advise all players to know how to use and use regularly). Also, I may to at some point in the future make a comprehensive move list, which would definately include the Butterfly.

It is widely disputed whether or not the Butterfly (and Kstyle in general) is a legitimate fighting method, and this is discussed more in the glitch vs. hack section below.

040 Dstyle~

Dstyle (named for the item that you must equip to use the style; the dagger) is similar to Kstyle in that you use a melee weapon both to get around and to fight with, but is fundamentally different, primarily due to the inability to block. Keep in mind that just because a player uses a dagger instead of a sword does not make him a Dstyle user; lunge spamming is a common tactic for players who can neither use a sword (effectively) nor Dstyle. For instance, you CANNOT Butterfly with a dagger; it is straight up impossible. Even so, Dstyle has numerous unique attributes that make it discrete from Kstyle (although it is widely regarded as inferior to Kstyle, despite the lack of any tangible evidence for it being such).

Dstyle runs largely off the same overall concept of Kstyle; animation cancellation. Like a sword, you can dash, jump, and attack; one difference being that daggers can actually attack while you are moving, which is the basis for many Dstyle moves (the dagger also has no combo, so that it does not lock you in place while using it, unlike swords or kodachi). Dagger moves include extremely complex and fast paced dashing (often with a gun!), the fastest natural wall cancel, and the ability to veritably paralyze an opponent from continual stabs (which force the opponent to perform the flinch animation after each hit).

Dstyle, while not being able to perform a good portion of Kstyle moves(the Butterfly, for example), still has a counterpart for most of them. While Dstyle does not have a defensive element akin to blocking, the fact that you do not have to meet certain conditions to make a melee attack (essentially the ability to stab at any time in the air at full speed, whereas swords must be slash-blocked together) generally makes a Dstyle user more agile than a Kstyle user. While a sword still allows one to perform a good portion of moves that are generally associated with Dstyle, typically using the standard Kstyle moves is preferred (the majority of dagger specific moves are based on the lunge, the "stab anytime" property, or the general speed of chaining those stabs).

There is dispute (as mentioned in the dagger section) over the lunge attack that daggers have. A Dstyle user may be considered unskilled from using lunge; ironically, Kstyle functions such that often it counters the lunge without extra effort, because you are hitting so many keys so fast that the spacebar is likely to be hit in that brief moment before falling (although it is possible to shoot you even if you safe fall if you do not react quickly). As with Kstyle, there is debate of the legitimacy of Dstyle as a fighting move (for the same reason; glitch use, granted most would say Dstyle features fewer glitches, of course that is contingent upon stabbing/slashing to cancel a dash not being a glitch); Kstyle, however, is largely the target of such accusations, as Dstyle is again less popular and typically considered inferior.

041 Hstyle~

Hstyle is not an individual style per se, but rather a term occasionally used to describe players who do not focus on moves from just one style. Typically the crossover is the insertion of Kstyle or Dstyle moves into Estyle (since you cannot mix Kstyle and Dstyle moves; you cannot have a dagger and a sword at the same time), resulting in abrupt and sometimes awkward switching of tactics. There are no set moves that are described as being Hstyle, but rather using certain moves in conjunction with moves or items not generally associated with them is what defines Hstyle.

Hstyle has the bonus of being less predictable and more adaptable than following a single style. Again, Hstyle is just a blanket term for players who use advanced moves but do not really conform to a specific style. With that in mind, it is difficult to say anything positive or negative (or even definite!) about Hstyle. It is important to realize that, under the definition of Hstyle, most players use it.

Consider: an avid Kstyle user uses a shotgun as his primary weapon and SMGs as his secondary weapon. Shotguns are the norm for Kstyle, but SMGs are not. Suppose this player kills someone with Butterfly and the SMGs. according to the definition, this person uses Hstyle, but he is sure that he is a Kstyle user. Try to understand that Hstyle, when defined expressly, is the way most players play, so be sure that Hstyle is the appropriate term to use before doing so.

Common style-associated terms – Spray, Noob, Pro, Style, Estyle, Kstyle, Dstyle, Hstyle, Tumble, Dash
042 Glitches Vs. Hacks~
Very often comments – and opinions – are based off of whether or not exploiting the glitches associated with animation cancellation (more specifically Kstyle/Dstyle) is legitimate. Many players argue from the standpoint that, since it was not the intention of the game design, such exploitation should be disallowed. Some go as far as to say that exploiting glitches is no better than hacking (which is discussed below). The rest (excluding neutrals) side that it is a generally accepted way of playing the game, and there are no rules against it and if there are they are certainly not enforced.

I believe the distinction between hacking and glitch exploitation should be well defined (at the very least in the mind of a given player) before an argument on this subject can be logical. Hacking is generally defined as altering programming (or network connections/settings) in an effort to alter something that happens in the game (be it positive or negative, to them or to their opponents or the environment); this behavior is almost unanimously considered inappropriate, and generally this is enforced. Glitches are errors/problems that already exist within code (specifically the game code for Gunz) that cause some things to work in awkward, illogical, or unintended ways. Typically glitches are difficult to find; game developers tweak all of the obvious ones before a game is released. I use these two definitions when making my argument below.

The exploitation of glitches associated with Kstyle takes advantage of inherent code fallacies in order to do things not normal/intended. They allow you to block and attack at the same time, to reach areas you should be unable to reach, and use weapons in rather wicked ways. Hacking, assuming the hack is able to affect anything significant, allows a player to cause damage without taking it, to fire without reloading, to not be where they appear to be, or produce similar effects. My classic example of hacking is where was in a game where a player was moving around at dash speed (but appeared to be sliding without moving the body) while continually using the massive strike on a sword; as in massives half a second apart that trailed just in front of the player.

It is only one instance, but if you compare the thought of attacking and blocking at the same time with the thought of massiving endlessly, it is usually the latter that appears more unfair. My general standpoint on hacking is that it is unacceptable by anyone, on the grounds that it alters game mechanics. My stance on glitching is that it uses game mechanics in non-standard and non-apparent ways. I personally believe that players should do anything and everything (within the rules and definition of hacking of course) to make themselves the best player they can be; as such I believe that using glitches inherent in the game coding to make you more powerful/difficult to kill is both legitimate and called for, and I encourage all players to share that view, or at the very least practice tolerance towards those who operate outside of their view.

I personally believe that reporting hackers is not a right; it is an obligation. Try to make the game as fair as it can be, and report suspected hackers using the proper procedure. For those who do not know (or are unsure about) this procedure, you have to take a replay (as far as I know they accept only replay files) of the person who is hacking. They also request that you give a brief description of the hack, so that they can readily identify it. The description is sent as an email (with the replay file as an attachment) to to report hack and abuse section and follow report format.
Monk
Monk
M2O GunZ Owner

Back to top Go down

Post by Monk Sat Oct 26, 2019 1:41 am

043 Terminology~
I have attempted to use the most direct language possible throughout this guide, but some terms simply mandate further explanation; those that I found in any way ambiguous or obscure I have listed below. The list is alphabetized for ease of searching. If you wish to understand a term not listed here, visit http://www.reference.com/ and use the Dictionary tab (or the encyclopedia if you want a detailed explanation; try putting in Gunz and see what comes up) to define what you don’t understand. If any key terms are missing from this list, I will add them on request.

Aim~ Moving your reticule into a desired position prior to firing.
AP~ Armor Points; the amount of damage your armor pool will absorb.
BF~ Butterfly; a central move in Kstyle featuring performing multiple actions simultaneously.
Camping~ Staying in one general area in an effort to hide from or wait for an enemy.
Critical Rate~ How often a weapon will damage HP versus AP *need confirmation*
Dash~ A fast, short distance movement only available with a melee weapon equipped.
DM~ DeathMatch; the free for all mode in Gunz.
Gear~ The armor/weapons a player uses; a specific item.
Glitch~ An inherent flaw in code programming.
Hack~ Software or hardware manipulation that alters game mechanics.
HP~ Hit Points; when your HP reaches 0 you die.
HS~ Half Step; a common move used in Kstyle.
Hybrid~ Term used to describe a player or tactic not conforming to one style.
KS~ Kill Steal; killing a player when another player has done the most damage to him.
Massive~ A small area stun attack with a melee weapon.
Noob~ Player new to the game; derogatory term used to describe another player.
PB~ Point Blank; a shot fired at very close range, guaranteed to hit.
Prem~ Premium item(s).
Pro~ Professional; term used to describe a skilled or experienced player.
Quest~ Quest mode; the only mode that is against computer characters.
Revs~ Revolvers.
Rushing~ Charging; heading straight towards an enemy, usually in an effort to overwhelm.
Shotty~ Shotgun.
SMG~ Sub-Machine Gun.
Spam~ Using two of one type of weapon in order to improve damage output.
Spray~ Firing of rounds with little or no regard for aim.
Stats~ Statistics; describes the characteristics and values of an item or player.
Style~ Set of moves and concepts that combine to form an approach to fighting.
TK~ Type Kill; killing a player who is typing, usually considered uncouth.
Turtle~ Player who turtles; blocking constantly to avoid damage.
Weight~ Limiting and balancing factor for items in Gunz.

044 Final Words

Thank you for taking the time to read some/all of my guide. If you feel so inclined, you can rate it in the top right corner of the forum window, where the stars are. I would like to thank the countless people I have run into with questions about the game for inspiring me to write this beginner’s guide; we have all been there at some point, and I would like to think that I have helped at least some. Also (although I doubt most readers will have the ability as it requires 50 posts), you may +rep me; I will likely reciprocate.

If you have questions, you may send me a private message and I will be happy to answer any polite queries. If anyone has any reasonable requests to add, change, or remove information I will do so. Before you ask me to include more specific information on something, remember that this guide is not intended to teach any styles or demonstrate bias for/against specific items; there are countless threads that do so much better than I could. Even so, I am considering writing a comprehensive moves list, but I do not have the time right now. Let me know what you think might be good things to include in this future guide.

I have spent considerable time on this guide, and am proud of all of the positive feedback I have gotten from it. Another big shout out to CSR_Reacher for stickying it. If I forgot any major topics, please tell me!
Monk
Monk
M2O GunZ Owner

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down